From:
Michael Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:28:03 -0400
you can't get a more accessible handheld than some of the older yaesu  ht's back in the day. just memorize some stuff and they are easy  I had a 411 a 416, and a 51r and had no problem running them or doing anything with them. I also had no problems  with my vx7r, although that wa snot as intuitive. the 470 is just as easy to use as the others as is the 530. I would to this day love to get a new 51r or 530 if they were still being made. the 51r was my favorite cause you could turn the voume down very low and actually hold it to your head  like a phone and do full duplex with no feedback. I even worked satellites with that radio and a little arrow beam back in the day and could dear my own voice become back from the birds. all of this while being totally blind.
I think that the biggest problem in the blind community is that many of us are not willing to just memorize some buttons and functions. the news radios are not as easy to memorize of course, but many still are quite easy. now if we could get yaws to bring the 51r back to production I would dbuy two of them just to put one in the closet for when the first wore out.  I found it to be much more intuitive than even the thf6a that I played with for a few minutes., although i am sure that radio is great and I would learn it if I had my hands on one.
speech would deb nice on a ht, but so far the only speech i found is really not worth a lot  I can run those radio with the speech turned off  about as well as with it on, and usually enter commands faster than the radio can speak anyway.