From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 14:05:41 -0500
Yes, but the point is that everything you give up is a choice.  It may be to
difficult to be worth doing, but it is your choice, not that your blindness
has absolutely prevented you from doing it.  Sur its a simplification, but
it gets people thinking, and gives you the opening to give them the idea of
thinking how something can be done, rather than how it can't be done.
As I have told interviewers I have met on my various job searches.  You will
get the answers to the questions you ask.  If you ask ""how can't I do
something" you will find that answer.  If you ask "how can I do something"
that is the answer you are more likely to find.  Getting sighted help is a
solution, and a valid one.  Employing a driver is a solution, in most cases,
requiring a valid driver's license is an invalid requirement.  Requiring the
ability to drive clients or to arrange their transportation is valid.
Imposing a solution that prevents a blind person from obtaining a job that
they can otherwise do, is not.  Certainly a driver's license is a valid
requirement for a driving job.

When I have maybe thirty seconds to start people thinking, their is no time
to debate the details.

I used to say driving and needlepoint.  Then one day I met a woman who had
her fabric hoop thing under her CCTV, and was using the magnification to do
her needlepoint.  The point is nobody has the wisdom or right to tell
another person what they can or can't do.  Nobody, not even that person
knows their own individual limits and abilities.  Nobody knows the future.

G-d may know, but g-d isn't telling.