VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 10 May 2012 11:49:09 -0700
Diane,

I'm about to give you more information on writing song lyrics/poetry in
Word than you ever wanted to know.

when writing poetry or song lyrics, the convention is to indent the
words that don't fit on the first line (hanging indents). If there are
lots of these in a single poem/song, you can often avoid them by
changing the font. When I type information out for my students, I
normally use Courier New 12-pt, which gets about 65 characters to the
line. If I am writing out a poem with lots of long lines, I change the
font to times New Roman 12-pt, which gets about 100 characters to a line
and creates very few hanging indents. People read both fonts
comfortably, so nothing is lost.

If I decide to go with hanging indents anyway, I type the poem, pressing
enter at the end of each line. When I'm done, I use ctrl+a to select
all, then ctrl+t to make all lines/paragraphs hang. This obviously only
affects the lines of poetry that are longer than the lines of the page.

I'm not sure what the convention is in song lyrics, but in poetry, you
don't center the title. Instead, you  leave it at the left margin
because most of the body of the poem doesn't actually extend to the
right margin.

If you press enter at the end of a line in Word, even if you don't end
that line with a period or other end stop punctuation, Word capitalizes
the first letter of the next line/paragraph. This is fine in song
lyrics, but it isn't always fine in poetry, especially in contemporary
poetry, and you may not want it in other types of lists. I think there's
a setting in Files>Options to fix this, but in older versions of Word,
the setting isn't necessarily honored. You can make Word keep the first
letter of the line in lower case by doing one of two things:

* After you hit enter at the end of the line, type the next line. Before
pressing enter at the end of the second line, check the first letter of
the second line to find out whether it's in upper or lower case. If it's
in upper case, correct it. then go back to the end of the line and press
enter. You may have to do this again one or two more times before Word
understands that you don't want the first letters of lines to be
capitalized. If later you happen to start a line with a capital letter,
you have to do this again to let Word know you don't want to start a
pattern. This works in Word 2010 and maybe 2007, but not in Word 2003.

* Press shift+enter at the end of the line. This makes a soft line
break, leaving the first letter of the next poetic line in lower case.
If you're a Jaws user, you need to hit the spacebar before shift+enter;
otherwise, Jaws reads the last word of one line and the first word of
the next as if they were all together. Since shift+enter is a soft line
break, Word and your screen reader think the block of text is a single
paragraph, so you can't read the lyrics line by line with ctrl+down-arrow.

Hope this is more helpful than confusing.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]