From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:04:02 -0500
I would suggest you sand the rod well until the surface is shiny.  The
little pits shouldn't be that big a deal as the clamp covers a fairly large
area when tightened.  A brand new ground rod is coated with a thin layer of
copper, perhaps a few mils thick and this will corrode fairly quickly
especially that which is below ground anyway.

Again, clean it until it is shiny, and you should be fine.

Howard #3