VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 9 May 2015 15:06:10 -0700
Hi all,

I've noticed an unusual phenomenon, which makes no sense, and I'm
wondering why it happens.

First, I'm going to ramble for a moment. Lately, I've been using NVDA
much more often than I ever have because Jaws has gotten buggy about a
lot of things. In fact, it has become routine for me to switch screen
readers in the middle of a computer session. If I switch from Jaws to
NVDA, things go pretty smoothly, but if I switch from NVDA to Jaws, I
frequently have to close and reload the program I'm in the middle of
working with because Jaws isn't always able to read what's on the
screen. It's like Jaws can work with the program if Jaws is opened
first, but not if the program is opened first.

Now for the weirdness. I use Word to read and respond to my students'
homework. I create a folder for each assignment and put all submissions
and a grading rubric into the folder. Then when it's time for me to
settle down to some grading, I use the Open dialog to navigate from
Documents to the folder so I can open the first student's submission,
and after that, I only have to find the next student's file since I'm
already in the right folder. The weirdness is that, if I switch from
NVDA to Jaws in the middle of a grading session, I usually find myself
back in Documents and have to navigate to the homework folder again.

The first few times this happened, I thought I'd closed the session or
navigated to another folder and just didn't remember. Later I started to
pay attention, and I noticed it happens most of the time. If I switch
from Jaws to NVDA, the Open dialog correctly takes me to the same folder
I was in the last time I open a file, but if I switch from NVDA to Jaws,
I tend to go back to Documents.

Why would switching screen readers (i.e., switching to Jaws in the
middle of a session) have any effect on the last folder I opened?

Just curious.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]