VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 20:36:19 -0700
I've been working with Open Book and the HoverCam more. One thing that
seems to help is laying a piece of clear glass or plastic, like a
picture frame, over the book to hold it flat. Another helpful thing is
placing a dark ribbon or knitting needle in the center of the book,
between the facing pages. Doing both produces significantly better
results though cleaning a book up for , say, Bookshare seems daunting.

This leads me to a couple of questions about Open Book,  which is the
OCR package I'm using.

* How much blank space needs to be between facing pages for Open Book to
understand there are two pages?

* Is there a way to tell Open Book to look for a narrower strip of blank
space?

Whether I use a flatbed scanner or the HoverCam, this particular book
scans as if the print went right up into the center margin, but when I
asked a sighted person, she said there was about three fourths of an
inch of space between the text of one page and the text of the other.
That seems to me to be a lot of space, enough for Open Book to have no
trouble working with the print, especially as I have the book pressed
down hard on the scanner glass or under the picture frame.

So my question boils down to what can I do in Open Book to get better
results with facing pages? I have the two-page item checked in the
Aquire menu.

I'm using windows 8.1, Jaws 15, and the current Open Book.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]