VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:37:42 -0700
Hi All,

I'm interested in scanning tips for people who use the Pearl, the
HoverCam, or some other camera with their OCR package.

After a couple of years of indecision, I finally broke down and bought
the HoverCam T-5 V for use with Open Book. It arrived yesterday. I've
set it up, and it's generally working well.

The reason I bought it is that certain books are tough going on flatbed
scanners. Sometimes when I scan in two-page mode on traditional
scanners, one of the pages scans beautifully, but the other is a mess,
so I have to rescan the book, pressing down on the spine really, really
hard, and even then, some books do well while others do not. After
scanning one of these books twice with a flatbed, I thought, "I may as
well try a camera."

I've scanned a few sample pages from the book. The results are better in
that I can read most of the text on both facing pages. The problem is
that they're being scanned as if they were a single page; in other
words, Line 1 from Page 2 is followed by Line 1 from Page 3; then we go
back to Line 2 of Page 2 followed by Line 2 of Page 3. Since everything
is all run together in a single paragraph, it's hard to know exactly
where one line ends and the other begins, so the post scan cleanup is
way more work than seems reasonable.

I know Open Book is set to two page mode, so I'm thinking the problem
has to do with the way I'm holding the book open. This is what I'd like
advice or tips on.

thanks for any suggestions.

ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at