VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:29:46 -0400
I mostly tend to agree with Bill here.  A solution in search of a problem.
Of course, people should be allowed to use whatever works for them,
however, a company needs to make a profit and so they will need to charge
for this device.  From my perspective, my IPhone can do anything this ring
can do, and my IPhone is an off-the-shelf piece of hardware, so will
undoubtedly be less expensive, and more up-to-date than the ring.

In the article, they even say something about integrating with a smart
phone.  Why bother?  The smart phone can do anything the ring can do, so
it would just be redundant.

I realize that I am biased by my own need to avoid adaptive hardware, so
tend to rely on off-the-shelf technologies a lot more than most, but it
still just seems pretty redundant to put a camera and speech output into a
ring, when my phone already has those capabilities.

I'm not saying this isn't an interesting idea, but not one that I would
personally spend my money on.

  --
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi