VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2014 05:53:55 -0400
Jeff

What may seem as a lame excuse to you or me may not appear so to the
developer.  Keep in mind that each individual, to a situation, brings
their own perspectives and values; and while to you or me, it may appear
straightforward, it may not appear that to someone else.
When that individual or business initially created something, they were
not thinking about specific cases such as the handicapped, or, in most
instances, other specific groups or situations.
They weren't thinking about eliminating or discriminating their idea or
product from some group or audience.
They were thinking about whatever they were developing -- and that's it.
If it worked -- or did not work for someone or something -- was hardly on
their radar.

And, if we legally began forcing these thought restrictions -- if that
were even practically possible (which it isn't) -- the ultimate impact
would be to stifle creativity.
And that, in society, is exactly what is happening in many venues.  For
instance, in some fields and locales, it is so difficult -- or one has to
jump through so many hoops -- that people or firms are not taking business
ideas or concepts and putting them into action.
Remember, when you create something and seek to profit from it, you take
on a risk and if that risk is not be rewareded -- or is made so difficult
to succeed -- one will choose not to proceed.
That, for example, is why in capitalistic economies there is far greater
innovation than say in the old Soviet Union.
And we are losing that in the US with the complexities and burdens of the
tax code, EPA regulations, all sorts of laws that the average individual
just doesn't know about, and all the rest.
Accessability may be important to you and me -- because we live in that;
but, for example, do you or I understand the world of the Kansas wheat
farmer or the guy fixing vehicles in Fort Worth or Sacramento?
You may want to sell something out of your home -- and I may want to
purchase it from you -- but 3rd parties may step in the way, interfere if
they suddenly discover your selling or offering something, et al.

If you or I developed a software program or device, or just came up with
an idea which actually worked in solving something or someone, we hardly
could envision its impact on 3rd parties that aren't on our radar scope.

And please, no one tell me that I had to because it was in some law --
perhaps even one not related to anything -- so I had to have been aware of
it.
My role, as a creator is to do just that -- not to anticipate consequences
to anyone or everyone.
When you do that -- and that's what's happening in 21st century America --
you ultimately kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

Free enterprise and capitalism ultimately works -- if you allow it to do
so.  It starts stalling when we throw in too many "catch yous" -- even if
those may initially have been made into the mix with the best of initial
intentions.

We, as blind consumers, ultimately make out best if the marketplace is
allowed to do its thing in its own way.  Yes, you or I may not then be
able to avail ourselves of every gadget, gismo or thing that comes along;
but, then on the other hand, there will come other things that might serve
you or my purposes even better if they are allowed to see the light of day
without a high level of government interference.

I rather live in that kind of environment which is one that flourished not
all that long ago rather than in today's nanny state where I am supposedly
protected from everything and ultimately benefit from less and less
because of its being stifled.

So that company or individual may wish to protect their proprietary
development because of their economic or other interest; but, on the other
hand, if you can demonstrate to them how your being taken into their
circle will benefit both you and them, then everyone ultimately benefits.

These days, we are too much focused on rights rather than opportunity.
The playing field is never equal, nor can it be nor should it be.  Forced
equality guarantees only mediocrity at best -- and probably a lot worse.

Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence, or learning.
Frederick W Faber, 19th century English hymn writer and theologian