VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:06:54 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Fruchterman
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2014 9:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Beneblog: Technology Meets Society]
Work on the Biggest Social Challenges of Our Time!

Are you motivated by the power of technology as
a force for good that can directly help the
world’s poorest communities thrive? Do you
believe ours could be a world in which the
benefits of technology touch the lives of all
people, not just the wealthiest and most able
five percent of humanity? Are you driven to make
a real difference from a leadership position in
the open source community, at the heart of
Silicon Valley and at the unique intersection of technology and
social change?

Are you willing to work on delivering maximum
good for humanity, rather than maximum profits?

Then read on: we might just have the perfect job opportunity for
you.

Benetech is seeking a Vice President of
Engineering to spearhead and expand our team of
technologists committed to delivering social
good at scale.  We’re a nonprofit technology
company on a mission to address unmet social
needs by providing targeted software tools and
services to groups left underserved by the
market, such as human rights activists and
students with learning differences.  We’re
passionate, agile, and growing, and we need you:
an accomplished, entrepreneurial technology
leader motivated by creating lasting impact for the betterment of
society.

You’ll be responsible for the overall
development, testing, and deployment of new
technology in all of our multi-issue
initiatives, but you’ll need to transcend the
technology requirements alone.  Success in this
position means you have built and delivered
products that have scaled in the marketplace,
understand the ins-and-outs of the technology
sector, and are able to foster collaborative
environments between diverse groups and organizations.

We’re looking for an innovator who can help us
strengthen Benetech’s reputation, recruit the
greatest talent to enhance our team, cultivate
and forge new relationships with partners,
funders, and technologists, and guide our
growing community of open source developer volunteers.

Do you like taking on big challenges? We’ve
got plenty of them for you to tackle.  Here’s a
taste of what’s on the plate at Benetech:
    * Promoting Internet freedom by building and
 deploying strongly encrypted, open source tools
 for human rights groups and journalists;
    * Advancing equal education by helping
 students with disabilities and learning
 differences read and succeed at school;
    * Improving access to clean water for some
 of the world’s poorest communities by
 supporting community based organizations with the right
technical tools.

We also offer great salary by nonprofit
standards and annual bonuses, but do understand
that we aren’t able to match what Silicon
Valley for-profit technology companies can
provide.  If you’re looking to get rich, this
isn’t the right job for you.  You have to be
someone who’s motivated above all else by the
opportunity to work on high-impact software
applications with extraordinary social return on investment.

Other perks we offer include:
    * Excellent employee benefits;
    * Work-life balance;
    * The ability to directly improve the lives
 of hundreds of thousands of individuals around
 the world (and, with your help, millions).

If you ever wondered how you could have a job in
the technology sector that truly helped the
people who most need technology but are the least able to afford
it;

If you ever wondered how you could personally
work on the biggest social challenges of our time;

And if you ever got frustrated by having to
abandon a great idea that could help entire
communities just because it didn’t generate enough profit —

Then this is your moment.
<http://www.jobscore.com/jobs2/benetech/vice-president-engineerin
g/bjRNUYTt8r44cFeJe9fLhG?ref=rss&sid=68>Check
out the job description for more details and
throw your hat in the ring.  Join our team and
help us make more impact than ever!

--

480 S.  California Avenue
Suite 201