VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:01:19 +1200
We all know sighted people who prefer buttons, or at least say they prefer buttons. However, study after study, in extremely diverse fields are demonstrating that sighted people overwhelmingly prefer well-designed, consumer-friendly touchscreen interfaces over hard-wired, tactile control interfaces which remain static.

In addition, across every industry studied, when touchscreen interface systems replace button interfaces, error entry rates very significantly decrease while the speed and retention of accurately utilising well-designed touchscreen interfaces significantly increases.

Finally, the length of product working life significantly increases because touchscreen interface has almost no moving parts.

On accessible mobile device lists for smart phones such as the iPhone, the biggest physical device complaint, once the user has learned the gesture-based touchscreen command system, is that one or another of the few physical buttons is not working properly. This would suggest that the third point above is accurate.

As to the first two points, I have not yet located a rigorous scientific study of the general market consumer which shows that button interfaces are preferred, and I have been intensely researching the field for one and a half years now. If you know of any studies which contradict this, please forward the citation information so I can utilise them. Until then, the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that only blind people, a group which is less than 0.5% of the population, prefer hard-wired physical buttons.

Note: the one exception to the above is the desktop QWERTY keyboard for long-term data entry. Researchers have not yet found a visual-haptics replacement on the touchscreen for the QWERTY keyboard for data entry. Remember, this finding is exclusively for desktop systems, and air-gesture control interfaces, the newest interface system to be studied, appears to be making in-roads on this last hold-out.

In the mobile market, the text data entry speed record was set in 2011 by a person using a touchscreen smartphone.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: [log in to unmask]
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone