VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:48:11 -0500
From: Susan Henderson
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 12:05 PM
Subject: [coataccess] iPhone App - Say Text

From the Australia Media Access newsletter:

http://www.audiodescription.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&v
iew=article&id=1098:free-accessible-iphone-app-turns-documents-in
to-text

Free accessible iPhone app turns documents into text

People who are blind or vision impaired will now have access to a
free iPhone application that allows them to take a picture of a
document and have it read out.
Produced by DocScanner,  SayText is specifically designed for
people who are blind or vision impaired and uses Optical
Character Recognition (OCR).  This is a technology that takes an
image or picture of a document and electronically translates it
into text.

This text can then be read out using Apple’s inbuilt screen
reader VoiceOver.

When you take a picture of a document, a beep tells you when the
whole document is in the picture, and the camera will shoot
automatically when focused.

Once the picture is taken, the OCR process will start
automatically.  When the process is finished, you can tap the
screen to listen to the document.

You can watch a video of a person using SayText on YouTube.

Our own hands-on testing has yielded mixed results.  For one, we
could not get our iPhone to beep when the document was in focus –
at a guess this could be because the camera could never achieve
full focus.  One document that we scanned (repeatedly) yielded
very poor quality text.  There was a lot of gibberish, and very
few words were detected correctly.  A different document however
resulted in text that was very close to the original.  Other
users have had similar experiences.

Despite this, DocScanner should be applauded for not only
releasing this application free of charge, but also customising
it to be used by people who are blind or vision impaired.

You can download the SayText app now from the Apple iTunes store.

__._,_.___
Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a
New Topic
Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
 Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]