From:
Deborah Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:52:39 -0700
I recently spent the past three months looking for work because I got a pink
slip in March. I was very aggressive about it; bugging lots of agencies,
both ones that served the disabled and ones that did not. I also sent my
resume out and pursued leads from friends, internet sites and job
developers. Finally in June,  I got an interview, doing tech support at
SugarSync, went in and was offered the job. (SugarSync is one of the
competitors of DropBox.) I was sure I'd not qualified because I don't know
SQL and because my guide dog had stolen a frisbie right off a passing desk
when we went on a tour of the facility.

I told the hiring manager I wanted 24 hours to think about the offer, and it
was a good thing I did, because they had fooled with the budget in my
current job so my layoff was rescinded. So I still have my same job. (I'm a
computer tech at a college.)

But when I had to turn down the offer at Sugarsync, I asked the hiring
manager why he selected me. And he said it was because I had an advanced
class ham license.

So guys, searching for work is all about promoting yourself, being can-do
and leaving no stone unturned. The world changes, but employers still want
workers that can demonstrate commitment and drive! And because everyone is
trying to do that, it's something like a ham license that makes you stand
out.

--Debee [KF6BKR]