VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2011 00:41:42 -0500
7bit
From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
I personally don't back up my music files, assuming I can still get my
hands on the original source. So for example, if I still have the CD,
and I can rerip it, then I won't back up that music. I figure it just
takes up time and space. I also don't typically backup files I've
downloaded and the like. That being said, there are good reasons to back
that kind of data up, and if you want to back up large amounts of data,
I'd personally recommend a second hard drive, either internal or
external. Last time I shopped for a hard drive, you could get a terabyte
for around $100. An external drive is more portable, and you could use
it to back up multiple systems. There are also network attached drives
you could get for your home network and back up multiple systems to that
storage.

I also agree with others who've mentioned multiple backup locations.
Hard drives, regardless of the technology, can fail. CD's and DVD's can
go bad just sitting on a shelf. Backup services over the internet are
probably fairly safe and probably have pretty sophisticated processes in
place to back up and restore lost data, but I'd read any agreement and
guarantees pretty carefully before paying for anything.

Backing up the whole disk is a good idea, if you have the time and the
storage. I wouldn't consider carefully determining what you do and don't
backup as a shotgun approach though. As I said above, I typically don't
back up everything, although I will make a whole system backup before
any kind of a major upgrade. I also use differential and incremental
backups so my most important data and the data that changes most
frequently gets backed up daily, takes up very little space and takes no
noticeable time or resources.