From:
Mary Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:07:26 -0400

I am wondering how many fellow celiac listers are sensitive/allergic to
prescription drugs.

I have developed allergies to many antibiotics, lidocaine and all of the
caine drugs, lisinopril and several other ACE inhibitors and many NSAID's.
I usually develop swelling of my airway, anaphylaxis, hives.
 I also have many adverse reactions such as headache, nausea, vomiting,
diarrhea to many other drugs such as neurontin, amitriptyline, NSAIDs,
antibiotics

I'm 68, was diagnosed with celiac 11 years ago but had symptoms all my life
and I carefully follow a gluten free diet.  I also have ehler-danlos,
scleroderma, autonomic dysfunction and small fiber neuropathy.

I am wondering if this could to be a celiac related problem and if many
celiacs have these problems.

Many Doctors who have treated me have generally told me things such as --
" this is not possible   --  you're the only person I've ever encountered
who had such problems -- all prescription drugs are tested before marketing
and therefore are "well tolerated"  ---  no one can have that many drug
allergies --- "  etc., etc.,   Even though I've been treated at the ER
numerous times when my airway began to swell shut.

Recently, however, I've read and heardsimilar indications from some other
celiac patients that made me curious and - considering that we all likely
have some degree of leaky gut syndrome -

- I wonder if many celiacs have drug allergies and intolerance or am I just
"weird"  as my family doctor says.

I'll summarize responses.  Thanks to all who take time to respond.  All you
listers are always so helpful.
Mary in Michigan