From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 06:53:43 -0400
Hi Doug,

Not sure I understand the question, but  I think the answer is "no".
When I use the tnc emulation, I use a second pc running Win XP.   I have
tried it using a single pc (main computer is Win 7 64 bit),  but this
still uses  a 9 pin null modem serial cable between  2 usb/serial ports
on the Win 7.

Since I use my Writelog contest logger as the transmit program, one
benefit I get from using a second pc is  that the RX pc is  always
active and I don't have to alt-tab between Writelog for tx and mmtty for rx.

A possible advantage you may get either using a single pc with tnc
emulation, or 2 pc's,  is that you may  have access to some terminal
software that reads the incoming text better than mmtty does by itself.
  This assumes that mmtty is decoding the text, but your screen reader
is   just not speaking things to your liking, but  speaks better using
some terminal program.

Can you get mmtty to decode incoming text?   If all you get is gibberish
from MMTTY alone, you will just get the same gibberish using tnc
emulation, only it will be coming out of a different program.

Not sure this was much help.  Have you looked  at the info regarding
digital modes on the site: 		hamradioandvision.com

I do things different then  what is described in the articles, but there
is more than one way to  do this stuff, so whatever works for you.

If you are not decoding any incoming text with mmtty, you need to look
at  soundcard, software and rig settings, as well as your tuning process.

73, Steve KW3A