From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 00:36:09 -0600
hey zack:
congrads on getting your license.
Dual band or even single band Mag mount antennas typically require minimal
tuning.  They are cut and designed to be used right out of the box or
package without the use of an SWR meter or cutting the whip to match the
antenna.  You can tweak them yes, and sometimes that is done to achieve the
absolute lowest SWR, but by the very nature of the design of a purchased
antenna like this, it isn't necesary to work well.
There are many models of dual band magnetic mount antennas out there.
To get the most out of the radio and have the best gain and range, find a
5/8's wave 2M antenna, or a dual band which would have a 5/8's on UHF and
half wave or 5/8's on VHF.
These types of dual band antennas are about 33 inches long.  The key is to
make sure you get the right adapter for your radio.  The UV5R has a male SMA
on the radio itself.  So, you would need a Female SMA to so239 adapter to go
from the radio's antenna jack to the standard PL259 connecter that comes
with your typical dual band magnetic mount antenna.
Some magnetic mount antennas come with a male SMA connecter on the coax, and
then you would just need a female to female (lesbian) connecter to attach it
to the radio.
Anyway, the antenna choice really comes down to your budget and weather you
want an antenna with some gain, or just a simple quarter wave style antenna
that will get the signal out of the vehicle and offer far greater
performance and range compared to the stock duck antenna inside the vehicle.
MFJ makes some relatively inexpensive antennas and mounts that work just
fine.  There are also diamond, hussler, aero, larson, and several other
manufacturers.
You can also buy generic clone style antennas from china off ebay that do
the trick nicely...although there is quality control issues with those
antennas and they may not be as reliable as one of the other better known
brands.

So, in a nut shell, just do a search on your favorite ham store website or
ebay for the dual band or single band magnetic mount and decide how much you
want to spend.  Don't worry about tuning or matching the antenna at this
point...unless you can find someone with an SWR meter or antenna analyzer
that doesn't mind taking a quick look and tuning the whip for you before you
go...but again, it's not vital to get good operation out of the antenna.

Personally, I use an MFJ 5 inch magnit bass with a generic chinese made dual
band antenna that resembles an MFJ dual band whip.  It has 3db gain on UHF
and 2 on VHF so they say.  It works just fine on the top of my explorer and
has for a long time.
If you need to watch the budget, go with a quarter wave antenna from MFJ
that will run you 20 or 30 bucks.  It won't last for more than a few years
without major over hauling, but it'll get the job done if you only intend to
use it occasionally etc.
hope this helps.
It's funny, your going to spend almost as much on an antenna for the radio
as you did on the radio itself.
Not sure if you have checked this out already or perhaps you already have
one, but you can get a cigarette lighter plug battery eliminator for the
UV5R.  It slides into where the battery goes and you can plug it straight
into the car's accessory power jack IE cigarette lighter jack.
Or, you can use a standard cigarette lighter adapter with the right sized
barrel plug and use your battery charging cradle in the vehicle.
You have to take the radio out to transmit, but at least it'll stay charged
while you are monitoring.
Also, one final note, when getting the connecter adapter, try to get one
that is a short length of coax...IE a pigtail so that there is less strain
on the radios antenna connecter when you have the larger coaxial cable
connected to it.

Again, hope all this helps and please ask if anything doesn't quite make
sence here.

Also, if you have any troubles programming the UV5R, don't hesitate to ask
as several of us have that radio.

73
Colin, V A6BKX