From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:11:24 -0500
I'm afraid this nonsense has been revealed in the Daily Telegraph (see the various paragraphs below some of the photos in the gallery):-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/8985122/Amazing-photos-of-Kanzi-the-bonobo-lighting-a-fire-and-cooking-a-meal.html

as being just a pathetic publicity stunt by a chimp research centre, in a desperate bid to get more money in order to avoid closure(see paragraphs under last photo). It seems they got the chimp to endlessly(for 100s of hours) watch a video showing in exact detail how early man made fire  until he eventually imitated what was in the video until he got it right. In other words, there was no originality, just blind, stupid imitation in the act, much like a parrot imitating human speech - the chimp did not have the brains to actually invent the concept of  fire-making on his own, let alone monitor the fire properly.

This reminds me of the absurd , sensationalist claims re Koko the gorilla having an IQ of 98. If that had really been true, Koko would have been as intelligent as almost half the human race.

Geoff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080050/Now-thats-chim-PAN-zee-Meet-
monkey-fry-burgers.html
All the Chimp has to do is learn how to use the internet so he can get
involved in the raw vs. cooked debate.
David