From:
J Kevin Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J Kevin Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2013 00:33:36 -0400

Dear Listmates,

If you have ongoing digestive issues that should have resolved on the gluten free diet, or if you have ongoing IBS issues, this summary MIGHT contain the answer to your problems.

In recent years, medical science has determined that humans in general are NOT able to digest some of the simple sugars found in common foods, such as certain fruits, vegetables, dairy products, honey, and many popular sweeteners. These sugars are referred to as FODMAPS (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols). Fructose is one example of a FODMAP.

For most people, these sugars pass on through without causing problems. But some people will experience symptoms that mimic celiac symptoms or IBS symptoms: nausea, bloating, gas, diarrhea, cramping. Elevated blood levels of amylase and lipase, enzymes from the pancreas, may be seen. Some people may also experience symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, brain fog, and mood changes.

IMPORTANT: When diarrhea occurs over prolonged periods, nutrient deficiencies and their symptoms may appear. The most common nutrients affected are folic acid, zinc, iron, tryptophan, calcium, vitamin C and E. (Yes, your osteoporosis could be the result of FODMAPS!)

This is a brand new, emerging science, but here's one example of how important it might be: Experts believe that as many as HALF of all people who suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) could get partial or total relief from the FODMAPS diet!

I began flailing away at the FODMAPS diet in mid-February. By the end of the month, ten years of digestive issues had disappeared, and have not yet returned! I say "flailing away" because this science is so new, that not even the experts are in complete agreement about what you can and cannot eat. So your meal planning will include a bit of trial-and-error. Also, it is very difficult to get professionally tested for this condition unless you live in a large city or know of a progressive doctor who will perform the breath test, which is currently the only test available. So, for most people, flailing away at the diet is the only way to find out whether you are a FODMAPS "victim."

I am a detail person, and have been working very dilligently on an Excel spreadsheet that compiles food lists from several of the FODMAPS experts. If you would like a copy of this spreadsheet, let me know. It's free.

In the meantime, here are some of the best resources if you want to learn more:

The diet was founded in 1999 by dietitian Sue Shepherd. Here is her web site:

http://shepherdworks.com.au/

Ms. Shepherd went on to partner with Monash University in Victoria, Australia. Here is the pertinent University web page, as well as a link to buy their booklet on the subject:

http://med.monash.edu.au/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

http://ecommerce.med.monash.edu.au/product.asp?pID=317&cID=11

Here are two articles from medical publications, authored by Dr. Peter R. Gibson, Sue Shepherd, and Jacqueline Barrett:

http://www.foodintolerances.com.au/pdf/fructose-malabsorption-diet-rev-shepherd.pdf

http://appliedneuroscience.com.au/Resources/Documents/FODMAP%2520Diet.pdf

And here's a unique .pdf document, that combines the FODMAPS diet with the Paleo diet:

http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/support-files/Paleo-FODMAP-food-list.pdf

I guess that's enough for one email! Feel free to write back if you have questions, or to request a copy of my spreadsheet.

J. Kevin Baker
President, Gluten Free Lexington
www.glutenfreelex.org
(859) 278-7296