VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:24:32 -0400
Ana,
while I am very comfortable and familiar with JAWS and Window-eyes, NVDA
is my screen reader of choice.  I regularly use the portable version on
computers which don't have NVDA installed and there are absolutely no
problems or difficulties with it.  On my thumb drive, I have the
portable version in a folder called NVDA.  The name of the executable
file is nvda.exe.  To make things a bit easier for me, I have a shortcut
to this file on the root of my thumb drive, which I just call "n"
without the quotes.
This means that, when I want to run NVDA, I can go to the run dialog and
type
e:n
and press enter and the screen reader comes up.
Substitute e for whatever letter is assigned to your thumb drive.
Of course, you can type in the full path and it would work just as well.
As I said, there are no difficulties in using this portable version.
Absolutely no files need to be installed onto the host computer for it
to work and you get almost the exact same functionality that you get
with the installed version, except for being able to run it
automatically at startup, which you normally don't do with portable
software, anyway.
You can even use any of the addons you might be using with the installed
version.  It really is amazing.

--
Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile at
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired