VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2016 19:29:47 -0600
Facebook's Head of Accessibility Thinks You Should Unplug Your
Mouse
  Imagine that you turned on your phone and opened your favorite
social app one morning only to find that instead of your normal
activity feed, you just see boxes that say "an article" or "a
photo".  This is reality for millions of people worldwide who
have disabilities..  As software engineers, we have a
responsibility to make what our software accessible to everyone,
since software continues to eat the world.
  Recently, LinkedIn announced the Next Wave list, recognizing
the top professionals under 35 who are changing the world.  One
of the honorees was Facebook Director of Engineering (and head of
the company's accessibility engineering efforts) Jeffrey Wieland.
LinkedIn sat down with Wieland to get his insights on
accessibility engineering.  From encouraging developers to unplug
their mouse to being mindful about color, read on to learn how
you can embrace accessible engineering.
  Greg Leffler: So first off, what exactly do you do? What are
the things you work on, and what are some of the challenges that
you face in your role?
  Jeffrey Wieland: The accessibility team at Facebook started
about five years ago.  It really started from this humble place
of wanting to build better experiences for people with
disabilities.  The accessibility team now - which has grown quite
[a lot] in the past five years - is really focused on two big
buckets.  The first bucket is we want to make it really easy for
all of our product teams across all of our platforms to build
products that people with disabilities can use.  The other big
piece that we think about is how can we push on innovation? It's
thinking about how we set up Facebook product and engineering for
success on accessibility.  We don't just want to build products
that are foundationally accessible or sort of "check the box." We
also want to build products that really create the right, full
experiences for people with disabilities.
  GL: Can you give an example of something you've recently
shipped that you're proud of?
  JW: I think the most recent launch related to that is our use
of object recognition to describe photos to people with vision
loss.  We partnered with our research group and our AI team to
build a system that allows us to check for a hundred or so
objects or concepts in photos and read that back as the
description for that photo to make it more enjoyable to receive
photos from friends and family.  Facebook is more and more
becoming a place for photos, videos and rich media.  So, we want
to make that experience fantastic and world-class.
  GL: What do you tell people who ask you why they should spend
time on accessibility? Why is this a place to focus instead of
making it faster, or prettier, or more reliable? Why should
engineers focus on accessibility?
  JW: Because accessibility is not yet foundational to design
programs and computer science programs, it is sort of by
definition this thing that gets added on when you go off and work
in the industry and you happen to work in a company that decides
they want to do this and invest in it.  And so, for a lot of
people it's just - they could meet this sort of experience with,
you know, "I understand why we should do this.  But I am sort of
afraid of what to do and that it is going to be a lot of more
work." So, one of the things that I often mention in first
chatting with product teams is that for most of the things that
are typically being surfaced by our QA team or things that we
think are deficiencies of the products, a lot of them are really
easy to solve.  And so, what we - and I think that sort of goes
back to the mission of our team - spend a lot of time thinking
about how to make it easier for product teams to do this so that
we can give them a blueprint for fixing a lot of these issues.
And we make it really easy for them to know what to do.
  I think frankly most of the things that we need to do are quite
simple.  B...ddThe key is really to make this a part of your
company's process and over time it will become this thing that is
sort of being carried along with all the other things that we
care about in terms of efficiency and speed and
internationalization, etc....
  GL: What are some common mistakes you see among people who are
trying to start accessibility teams or in general make their
product more accessible?
  JW: [One mistake is on] the assistive technology side, like:
buttons without labels, other UI elements with no labels, and not
handling focus cleanly.  A classic way of simply checking whether
or not your web application is usable in something like a screen
reader is to unplug your mouse.  Can you get around that
interface with your keyboard only? This is a tried-and-true basic
sanity check for the question: "Have I created an experience that
is accessible to assistive technology?"
  On the visual design side, I think there are a lot of common
pitfalls that we make to call out.  One is we often deploy out
pictures that are pretty low on contrast, right? It's pretty -
you know a lot of modern web design today has a lot of light
colors on light backgrounds or gray text on white or gray text on
red.  Being mindful of the contrast that you are using with your
visual elements and with your text on screen and your background
is one really simple way of making your experience a lot more
usable to people who may want a more readable experience -
especially now that so much of the [use of the Net] is on mobile
devices where you are using those out in the daylight and you are
getting a lot of sunlight and reflection, right? Contrast becomes
pretty critical in being able to use a device like that when you
are out and about.
  Related to color contrast is using color to convey meaning.
Not everyone interprets and sees colors the same way.  If you
have a UI and your UI is relying on color to convey something
like "red for bad," for instance, or "green for go," you
generally don't want to rely just on color to communicate [that
intent].  Color is another thing to be conscious of as a visual
designer generating mocks in graphic designs.  Make sure that
color isn't the only way that somebody might be able to perceive
what that thing is.
  GL: What would you recommend to someone who wants to take the
lead on being more mindful about accessibility at their company?
  JW: One thing is to take a step back and look at, simply, how
does your company ship products? If you had to draw out on a
whiteboard from the beginning of ideation all the way through
launching your product to the world, what are all of the steps
that your company goes through to get that product out the door?
We identified that accessibility should be a part of each of the
steps in different ways.
  I think one of the biggest wins that we made in sort of
systematizing accessibility updates was really partnering with
the quality assurance team.  The QA team at Facebook had been
around for maybe a year or so before we engaged them on
accessibility.  And they had already set up a pretty nice process
for being the last step before launching products for iOS and
Android, and they had built in really nice test plans for all
these different products that they were checking to make sure
they were high quality before they went out the door.
  We talked to them about what we were trying to do with
accessibility.  We essentially wanted to make sure that we were
doing similar testing for accessibility and that we are being
comprehensive with testing in things like VoiceOver on iOS and
TalkBack on Android (the primary screen readers for those two
platforms).
  We also decided that for every single task and bug being
generated by the QA team that we would link to documentation
about that platform and the accessibility that is patterned for
that platform.  [Our thoughts were:] Let's include documentation
right in that task.  So, they have some reference point..
  [To summarize], it's really through close partnership with
those teams that you have identified as important to your
lifecycle of shipping products that you are able to figure out
the right and efficient and successful path forward for that
[accessibility] piece of it.  Go engage those people and do some
relationship-building and understand what they are optimizing
for, how they measure success and figure out ways to align
accessibility with that.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]