VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2015 13:28:07 -0800
Hi All,

I occasionally need to make audio voice recordings for work. The ones I
make are generally fine, but there's a little background hiss. Using
Goldwave to remove mild hum helps, but doing anything else with Goldwave
just adds a robotic layer. someone suggested I get an external sound
card to produce cleaner recordings. I don't know much about external
sound cards. The little I've read is overwhelming and confusing, so what
I'm asking for is basic information to help me make sense of what I'm
reading:

* Are there accessibility concerns with external sound cards. I'm
imagining a box with ports. Is this correct, or are there also buttons
that may or may not be tactile? Is there software I need to deal with,
or would I work with the external sound card via Windows and Goldwave,
which means the sound card's software doesn't really need to be accessible?

* What are good starter brands/price ranges? The range I find is way too
broad. some models sell for a few dollars, but when reading the customer
reviews on Amazon, I discover I need satellite radio. Others cost
hundreds of dollars, but turn out to include video. The frustrating
thing is that these differences aren't often easy to identify in the
specs list, so I feel I don't know what I need to find. What I'd like is
something basic for voice that's easy to use and costs under $50.

* What else do I need to buy? When I buy the card, is it likely to
include the right cables? If not, what kind of cable am I likely to
need? I'm assuming I need an external microphone? Is the one on my
headset likely to work, or are there certain specs I need to pay
attention to?

I have a Windows 8.1 all-in-one (i.e., it's like a monitor with ports
and a CD tray). It's got sound-in and -out and USB ports, so I probably
want a USB sound card.

Any wisdom would be much appreciated.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at