VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 08:25:53 -0700
Mike,

No brick throwing here. I just want to clarify.

I don't work for Microsoft or any other computer company, and I'm not in
the AT biz at all. I'm an English teacher and a translator. I use
computers everyday in connection with the work I do.

My experience is that it's important for us to keep up with technology,
not because newer is better, but because newer is often necessary. When
I teach, I often have to show students how to use their computers to
create headers, footnotes, save web pages, etc., in ways that are
required by their disciplines or my department, so I need to show them
on operating systems they use. I also need current versions of browsers
to access certain employee sites. And for some industry specific
software, newer versions, which run on newer OSes, tend to be more
accessible.

I think AT professionals need to keep current as well. After all, part
of their mission is to help people become more independent. To my way of
thinking, this includes helping them feel confident about using the
technology at work.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]