VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:04:26 -0700
For screen reader users, I'm not sure what the benefit is of having the
classic start menu restored. In previous versions of Windows, I launched
most programs from the desktop or from hotkeys. If I happened to
remember that something was on the start screen, I would use first
letter navigation to get to it. In Windows 8.1, I still launch most
programs from the desktop or from hotkeys. If I happen to remember
something is in the metro area, I just type the first few letters. The
difference doesn't seem all that significant to me.

You can trade the metro look in for a list by moving to the taskbar,
pressing alt+enter for properties, and moving through one of the tabs to
check a box that says something about Apps View, but you still don't
have first-letter navigation.

On 4/3/2014 9:37 AM, Pratik Patel wrote:
> Note that - just because you can boot to desktop, it does not mean that you
> will get your classic start menu back. It just means that you will be placed
> on the classic desktop at boot time and after you quick apps. When you press
> the start button (or ctrl+escape), you will still be on the Windows 8-styled
> start menu. You can install additional software to have classic start menu
> interface.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]