VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 08:16:05 -0400
Before folks get excited about all this: our town was interested in this
Google test project (I doubt if Google was interested in us, however)
<grin>!!

My son, who is into technology and computers, raised several points from
the standpoint of individual users.
For the individual, for this faster internet access to work to its full
potential, several other things are necessary.
you must have a cablemodem capable of handling athe speed of this speedier
internet connection; or you will otherwise still have internet at the
speed you are used to.
Google, as part of the roll-out, will likely sell or rent these.
Next, your router must be able to deliver the speed.
Next, your wifi card or ethernet connection (including connecting cable)
must be rated for the higher speed.
And there may be limitations in your pc which may prevent delivery of the
net at the top speeds.
So, make certain that you are willing to make the investment on your end.
And what is this supposed to cost the end user on a monthly basis?

Hopefully, the Google project will be successful.  But users will also
have to do some things on their end namely having equipment capable of
receiving the higher speeds.

He who sings his own praise is usually off key.
Unknown