VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Getchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Catherine Getchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:29:34 -0400
Hi Jeff,
I've done a lot of Powerpoints for my job, so I have some experience
but am not an expert by any means.  When Powerpoint first comes up,
you get a blank presentation.  Your first slide will default to the
title slide, so you'll put your title in there.  You can tab between
the title and subtitle placeholders in the slide, and these fields are
where you would put the title and subtitle.  Then you would go to the
home menu and click on new slide.  A menu comes up where you can tell
it what kind of slide you want.  For example, you could have another
title slide, a slide with title and content (probably most common), or
two collumns of content, or some other choices.  You can also insert
pictures, charts, etc.

Using f6 is handy because this can take you between various panes on
the Powerpoint screen.  One pane just has the slide titles.  Another
pane lets you page down through the slide content.  Another pane is
for notes like if you had notes you wanted to refer to while
presenting.  I personally never put anything in there because I type
out notes for what I want to say in Braille or have them on my Braille
notetaker... but that's just me.

The presentations you make, if they're anything like mine, will not be
visually glitzy.  But I've heard from a lot of people that
presentations with a lot of animations and stuff that "looks cool" is
actually sort of distracting to the audience when you're up there
presenting.  Nonetheless you might want to have a sighted person look
things over just to make sure the fonts are good for all your slides.
For example, if your font on the slide is too big for the amount of
content you have, it may be hard for your audience to see all the
content on that slide.

Also, when someone sends you a Powerpoint to look at, you might find
it easiest to save it in outline format (RTF).  It's easier to read
than reading the slide content within Powerpoint.  Just my take.
Saving it in outline format is something you can do from the save as
dialog.

Hope this helps get you started.  I think if you use JAWS, Freedom
Scientific has some training and stuff on their website.