VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:32:19 -0500
Hi Ana

I have a kindle, two actually with keyboards. I also have enough vision
to be able to turn on the speech at the system level myself.

I have not tried very much Kindle content with the PC client,
especially the kind of string searches one needs for dictionaries.

Do you have the manual for the Kindle on a Kindle? It's like all
manuals which means not very interesting and especially lacking in
descriptions of the physical detail of the keys. For instnace, to find
the search option from inside a document, you need to press a button
that says Menu. Thie Menu buton is above the big square botton. and
then arrow up and down using the cooresphonding sides ofthe big square
key.... I cannot remember the sequence but a search bar opens and then
you get to type but I do not remember there being audio feedback, I am
a bad typist, and it's a small keyboard.

On the Kindle once you get the voice turned on and open a document
there is a round key to the R of the spacebar that opens a menu about
things to do with display and reading of documents....

In other words, it's a pain and there are lots ofthings i do not even
try..

Is this a start?

Dorene C, Seattle