VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:39:27 -0400
I am surprised, reading these comments. I'm the ultimate over-sensitive
reader and I read this quite differently. You have to allow for
reporters completely messing up his words, but this guy basically said
that he thinks the problem with his device *now* is that blind people
can't build their own. I read this as, his assumption, that  he can
improve it so that the average [non-engineer] blind person  *can* build
their own. I might expect him to be a little off re the abilities of
blind people if he  started out not knowing any, but I can't imagine his
even throwing out such a sentence unless he thought this was something
we could do. And applaud someone getting that that might be a good goal
rather than aspiring to build a company to manufacture his new invention
and think he might get rich off it. I think, if you  substitute "person"
for "blind person" all you get is a generalization about the average,
something that gets done all the time, without people meaning that there
are no engineers out there who can do what the average person cannot.

This might not be the invention I want most, but I actually think it is
exactly the right attitude on the part of the inventor.

Lynn

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]