VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:11:56 -0500
CCleaner is what I would have recommended. If your computer is still slow,
there are a few other things I'd suggest:

1) Remove any applications you've installed that you know you aren't using.
Don't remove any programs you aren't sure about. You can do this with just
Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs or Revo Uninstaller from
http://www.revouninstaller.com/. The nice think about Revo Uninstaller is
that it'll clean up your registry afterwards, but you may want to be careful
about this. Either way, after you've removed programs you don't use anymore,
rerun CCleaner to clean up the hard drive and the registry.

2) See what programs are automatically being started and put a stop to those
you don't want running every time you start up your computer. You can use
msconfig, which you can get to by typing msconfig in the Start Menu -> Run
dialog box. Two other programs you could use would be AnVir Task Manager
from http://www.anvir.com/ or WinPatrol from http://www.winpatrol.com/.
CCleaner may also let you work with your startup programs.

3) What antivirus software are you running? If you're running
Norton/Symantec (one that I've had experience with) then you may want to try
an antivirus package that's a little lighter on its feet, such as AVG, Avast
or MSE.

4) If you're not already running with at least 3G of RAM then consider
moving to 3G or 4G of RAM, assuming you're running 32-bit Vista. You can go
with even more memory if you're running 64-bit Vista. this might be the
simplest and fastest way to improve your system performance.

5) I'm not familiar with Vista, but it has a reputation of being kind of a
slow pig. You might want to look to see what you can do to make it a little
leaner. You may also want to consider moving up to Windows 7, which has a
reputation of being a bit snappier.

--
Christopher