Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 17:03:57 -0700

  I'm sure the description of the Gateway LT4010u says "1GB RAM
expandable to 2GB", and I found someone selling a 2GB SO-DIMM claiming
it was for this purpose.  Crucial's website recommends this, and I've
done it on my older Acer netbook and on multiple MacBooks....

  3GB, by the way, sounds more like the 32-bit OS limit (4GB of address
space, but 1GB of that is reserved for ROMs, peripheral interfaces,
etc), rather than a chipset limitation.  (I read somewhere recently that
XP was limited to "3GB or 3.5GB depending on the hardware"....

David Gillett