From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2012 22:48:17 -0700
This can be done. There are commercial CISCO routers that will do
this for you in one device. They are expensive. Most modern home
routers will allow you to create a virtual wireless log in within a
single router. I have a router that does this although I haven't
employed the feature. You can also do this with two routers by
assigning a separate IP number to the second router, and running the
wireless from there while letting the firewall in the first router
block access directly from the second router, however the second
router will still be plugged into the LAN router which means it is
not fully isolated. If something goes wrong your network could be exposed.

What I do is to use three routers. The first router which is a old
wired 10/100 Linksys router is assigned an IP address of 192.168.3.1
and your cable or DSL modum is plugged into it. I also plug my VOIP
device into it because that does not need to work with any other PC
or device. If everything else goes bad I can always plug directly
into this router to access the Internet.

Then I have my personal network = LAN router plugged into the
192.168.3.1 router as a client with a assigned IP address of
192.168.1.1. This is a Gigabit network so the router and all the
switches are Gigibit This 300N wireless is for my personal use and I
assign it to channel 1.

Finally, my third router a TP-Link 10/100 with N150 wireless I run
out to the middle of the house, for employees, friends, and family to
use in both wired and wireless modes. It is  plugged into the
192.168.3.1 Linksys as a client and I assign it  an IP address of
192.168.2.1.I assign the wireless to channel 11 and give it a
different SSID then my personal wireless .

The three router approach provides complete isolation of both the
wired and wireless networks and also provides a lot of
redundancy.  As long as the Internet modem and the 192.168.3.1 router
is up and running then if one of the sub routers go down it won't
effect the functionality of the others. Even if the Internet router
goes down both LANs will still function.

Of course, every now and then I have to shut everything down and
restart it all but it doesn't happen that often. I have been running
this setup for at least four years. I have replaced routers, switches
and other devices and it has remained very robust. After the initial
shakedown, it has proven to be very reliable.

Mark Rode