From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:43:35 -0400
Hi,

You aren't, that's just how this radio is. It talks a lot, but not for the important bits. So, first thing to do is to start over. Hold down menu and turn the radio on, then press menu again, up arrow once, menu again. That *should* reset to factory defaults.

OK, now that that's out of the way…

You can do this, but it's a bit hit and miss. To set the PL tone, you have three options. Both transmit and receive tones, receive tones, and transmit tones. Don't mess with both or receive at all, just don't. Only set the transmit tone. Sorry, the radio's a couple floors away at the moment, but I think it's the third tone set option as you scroll up. It appears to default at 67.0 hz, so you hav to count up. The trouble is that it remembers your last tone, so this really isn't very blind user friendly at all.

The good news is that the software is sort of usable, just ignore the buttons that all say "Command 1". Set up the software like this:

First, install the driver for the programming cable.

Next, in the TYT programming soft are, which I can send you if you don't have it, you'll have to do the following each time you open it:

1) Set the com port to match where your cable got installed, and

2) In the setup menu, select "alternate GUI".

With alternate GUI, all the important fields speak, so you can type in a channel number, transmit frequency, receive frequency, and select transmit/receive tones, power levels, and bandwidth. Type in the next channel name and do it all over. Once you ave things set up the way you want, save your work, then write the file to the radio from the menu.

One of these days I'll get around to working up something that's actually useful, but that should get you started.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY