VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2016 07:43:22 -0600
From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
I used to have this problem quite frequently with bluetooth speakkers. I
haven't had it in a long time, and I don't have it with any of the
bluetooth speakers or head phones I have at the moment.

I believe this problem is caused by some energy saving logic in the
bluetooth speaker. When it doesn't detect any input, it goes to sleep
and wakes itself back up when it has some input coming in. This isn't a
problem with music or other streaming material, since it's being
received by the bluetooth speaker in a continuous stream. This is
obviously an issue with screen readers though, who send their output to
the speakers in short bursts. This doesn't impact keyboards because of
course keyboards only send messages out in bursts, and of course it's
going in the opposite direction.

I can't tell you what to do, but I primarily use my bluetooth speakers
for streaming content and not for interacting with my screen reader. If
that's what you want to use your bluetooth speaker for then I'd suggest
getting a bluetooth speaker that works for you.

Have you tried this speaker with your iPhone? Do you get the same
latency? The energy saving feature may be in the Windows driver rather
than in the speaker.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail