Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2013 09:46:41 +0100
7bit
From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Colleen and All,

If the accessibility has been implemented properly, touch screen technology
can be easily used, and in the case of the Smartphone, can lead to the use
of apps that would never be found with a traditional device.  On this basis
I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

Saying all that, there is a problem with touch screen technology that I've
not heard mentioned anywhere.  Basically, you need to be listening fully to
know what you are doing.  On a device with voice feedback and traditional
buttons, you can probably get most things done with only cursory attention
to the voice, because you remember the sequence of physical operation.
Using a touch screen needs you to be listening to the feedback completely at
every stage.

On a radio, this is not a useful function.  Ideally you will want to make
adjustments without any chatter that might distract you from the signal.  I
touch on this scenario in my review of the Kenwood TS-590, when pressing the
button to hear the sub VFO.  The frequency is announced by the voice every
time you press and release the button.  Fortunately, you can turn off the
automatic chatter, and it can be seen that Kenwood have given this some
careful thought.  Too much talk is as bad as not enough!

Turning a silent physical control to adjust say Noise Reduction is likely to
be much more  comfortable for a blind operator, than  one being forced to
use a chattering touch screen.  It is for this same reason I prefer not to
use software to control a radio in real time.  The only audio I ideally want
to hear is the incoming signal, anything else can be  a distraction <big
smile>!

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals