From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 16:44:41 -0400
On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 19:47 Neil Timms wrote:

>Emiliano,
>
>Under more stable living conditions I try and source grass fed bones
>for the marrow and to make fatty stock.

My butcher gives me as many stock bones as i like. I get 2-3 kg a week. It saves him having to dispose of them.

>>> Ok, let's assume an average generic meat has 20% protein and 10% fat. To
>>> meet my protein needs I should therefore ingest 650gr of meat, which
>>> means 65gr fat. This leaves me with 135gr of fat which I don't know where to
>>> get from. 150gr of coconut oil each day?

I never eat bacon unless i can be sure it is free of added nitrites and nitrates.

I have an arrangement whereby my butcher minces for me 3kg of lamb every week using the coarsest plate he has and putting the meat through just once. I have 300g in the morning and 300g mid-afternoon with a salad. It's autumn and there are apples falling off the trees here, so I'm eating 2-3 apples a day too. In the evening I nibble a bit of unpastuerized cheese. Occasionally I tally my food intake and the last time I did that was back on 21 September. Here’s how it panned out for that day:

Protein 158g
Fat 188g
Carbs 38g

Protein 26% of calories
Fat 64%
Carbs 6%

Total calories 2700

However, I urge you to watch Barry Groves’ new video on calories and the science (or lack of it) in the way they are calculated and used. He has most of the info you need to make your own decision. He should have mentioned the calorific content of faeces which are usually often from the equation.  (And just for the record, I don’t go so far as to say “calories don’t count”.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahq9gSfDJFc

Keith