From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:16:48 -0400
A preamp, internal or external will raise the noise with the signal, it
raises everything. A tuner at the base of the antenna will only run one
antenna at once and if you have an external tuner you don't use the internal
one in the radio at the same time. I've never heard of that brand of tuner
but have heard of tuners like it, there are several. People will argue all
day about which is better, to me the less electronics outside short of the
antenna is the best option but then to, where I'm involved, usually if it
can go wrong, it will and in a big way. I don't know about the mic wiring on
the 480, I don't have one but I know a lot of people who do, and a couple
have more than one and the majority of people seem to just stick with the
stock hand mic rather than get in to the rewiring and what not though why
Kenwood doesn't just come out with an extra cord for the MC-60 so at least
people can use that mic, I don't know.
The S meter reading changes when there is a signal or not, so on SSB, you
have to try to get it while the person is talking, not on pauses, that's
probably the difference you're seeing. Then, you have 5 different radios,
they'll say 5 different readings on the same signals so I wouldn't even go
by that.