From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:11:36 -0400
I think you're fairly close to the coast.  Be on the alert for tropo
openings.  They are most noticeable on 70 CM and 2 meters, but can extend
ground-wave range somewhat on 6 meters, also.  Be sure you know what
four-character grid square you live in, because people often want grid
squares more than the state you're in.  I work a little 6 meters sometimes,
either loading up my beam or one of the dipoles.  Each one has a different
pattern and a different amount of received noise level.  On sporadic-E I
have worked as far as the Canary Islands, Guadaloupe Island, VE1 and W6.  It
all depends on the bands being open, and there being someone on at the right
time to take advantage of the openings.
73 -- W3IUU