From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2012 06:36:51 -0500
No, this is based on the CQ Zone map where the whole earth is broken
down into 40 different zones.  I think for the US it works this way:

Call areas 1, 2, 3, and 4 are in cq zone 5.

Call areas 5, 8, 9, and 0 are in CQ zone 4.

Call areas 6 and 7 are in cq zone 3.

If you could see a map, it might all make some sense, otherwise it's
just a Hodge podge of numbers.   The CQ zone 1 is up in Alaska, the
numbers move down through North and South America, then over to Europe
and Asia.  It kind of goes around and around until it finishes up  with
zone 40 in Iceland

Most of the logging software the other stations are using will
automatically fill in your zone based on your call.  .

73, good luck, Steve KW3A