VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 14:38:59 -0700
7bit
Sender:
From:
Everett Gavel <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Ana, and all,

No worries, I didn't take your post as snippy. I
hope no one will take my response as anything more
than the friendly response it's meant to be, to
give an alternate point-of-view.

I'd like to take a minute and share my recently
developed notion on my 3.5-month-old iPhone, since
it has been brought up in relation to being proper
or not on a computer list. An iPhone is more of a
computer than my recently exterminated 10-year-old
PC.

I enjoy this list and the people n it. It's got
much less junk put through here than on a few
other lists I'm on. But this list is named,
"VICUG," which is an acronym for Visually Impaired
Computer Users Group. Below I'll share why I
believe the iPhone is merely the latest version of
a computer that's taking market share, and it's
far more accessible than any off-the-shelf
computer in history.

It is merely my opinion, but I'd argue with anyone
that an iPhone is easily considered a handheld
"laptop" computer. Merely a newer, smaller version
of the original PC. Yes, I get the differences
between PC & Mac, but that's not what I'm
referring to here. They're both, unarguably,
computers.

I've had an iPhone for almost 4 months now, and
I've recently come to realize it really is a
handheld computer. I've now downloaded to my
iPhone all the programs I used regularly on my PC.
I've now got E-mail, Facebook, Skype, Twitter, and
LinkedIn. I've got PayPal, Amazon, & eBay on my
iPhone as well. I've got the WeatherChannel and
the WeatherBug, I have Spotify, Pandora, and
Netflix on my iPhone now, too.

I've got Bloomberg, CNBC, and some stock-trading
apps as well. I've got even more than I had on my
PC, though, too. I've now got GPS navigating
programs, barcode scanning programs, OCR,
print-to-speech programs, Newsline, the Wall
Street Journal, and the Washington Post. I've also
got unlimited-length audio recording programs that
can record meetings and classes for me. Apps are
simply another, newer name for "programs."

I've also got Quickbooks, Evernote, GoogleMaps,
Dropbox, and GoogleEarth on my iPhone. Then
there's the simpler stuff like Notetakers,
reminders, alarms, and a built-in Web browser too.
It's most everything and more that I used
regularly via my PC just months ago, but now use
on my iPhone -- no matter where I am. It's merely
a hand-held, portable computer. And it's very
accessible to the blind, for a much lesser cost
than a typical PC + Assistive Tech software costs.

Yes, the iPhone is a computer. I'd argue that
being a phone is merely the tool that it used to
get into and take over a market share, very
successfully. But the phone aspect of it is not
what it truly is. It is merely part of it. Anyway,
that's my story, er, opinion, and I'm stickin' to
it. ;-)

BTW, Happy New Year to each of you here! May 2013
end as your best year yet!

Seize the Day!
Everett