Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:41:38 -0500
Subject:
From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>

First, thank you to everyone who gave me advice about our road trip from southern NJ to Marietta, GA to Bushnell, FL to Cocoa Beach, back up to Derwood, MD, and home to NJ.

I googled wherever I was and came up with some really interesting places to eat on gf sites, urbanspoon and yelp.  I am intentionally on a low carb, low-glycemic diet....so I wasn't looking for pizza, bakeries, and fries.  I wanted to eat healthy, as much as possible. And I wanted to avoid fast food and chains, when I could.  I'm intentionally doing this long summary in order, because it's easier for me to write. Unless we were at a destination for two or three days, all of these were right off the highway.  95 to 85 to75, across FL on 50, then 95 all the way to DC, around beltway, and up 95 to Philly, which is close to home.

Day one  Headed South from NJ to central NC
A pit stop in Lorton, VA (near the northern end of Amtrack's Auto-Train) found us in a supermarket parking lot, near the station..coincidence.  Since we left before dawn, this was a mid-morning snack, and we just picked up salads from the salad bar in the supermarket and ate there. Some listmates recommended Z-Pizza and another restaurant in that shopping center that do gf, but I wasn't interested in pizza.
Lunch was in a RED ROBIN in Glen Allan, VA.
Dinner was in GRILL 584 in the Best Western... our first hotel, Burlington, NC. The waiter's mom has celiac.  Go figure.

Day two  from NC to Marietta, GA
Breakfast at the Best Western...their scrambled eggs and coffee.  My Glutenfreeda instant oatmeal, flaxmeal, cinnamon.  Biscuits were under the same cover as the eggs, but I was always the first one down to breakfast, wherever we did a hotel breakfast, so I could avoid contamination.
EXCELLENT Lunch  KANNIKAS THAI KITCHEN.   Greenville, SC.  If you're in this location...don't miss this place.  Not only does their host/waiter have an ex with celiac, but the cooks are the owner and his wife, and they know GF, and most of the menu is safe, and it was cheap and delicious.  They were in the process of moving "down the street", so if you google them, phone to be sure you've got the right location.
EXCELLENT dinner KIOSCO (Columbian food) at Marietta Square in Marietta, GA.  Again...almost all gf, not expensive and really good.  A guy we were visiting brought us there.  His favorite place. Don't miss if you're in Marietta area.

Day three  Marietta, GA
Breakfast at the Marriott Residence Inn. Again, their eggs and coffee, my cereal, flaxmeal, cinnamon. Any hotel breakfast...get down when it opens to avoid contamination.
Lunch WOW!  Found a gf bakery vendor at the farmer's market at Marietta Square: EUROPEAN BAKERY.  I bought a gf spinach feta calzone and picnicked on Kennisaw Mt.  My husband bought a pack of "gluten free" pita breads at a Greek vendor that also sold regular pita, and the wife of the baker couldn't really guarantee gf,  so I wouldn't buy it, but my hubby got the gf version so his hands wouldn't get gluten all over my steering wheel!  He stuffed his pita with a packet of my tuna for our mountain picnic...an unexpected treat...climbing the mt and having our lunch in the woods. Loved it.
Dinner CHICKEN AND THE EGG....Fantastic restaurant.  Had delicious trout.  My hosts told us we'd go there, and I phoned ahead.  Owner's wife....serious food allergies.  Totally understood gf.  Not sure of town, but it's still in Marietta, GA area.  (Google for location and ph number and reservations)

Day four Marietta, GA
Breakfast at Marriott Residence Inn, etc.
Lunch another WOW!  TAQUERIA TSUNAMI...a crazy delicious fusion cafe on Marietta Square...again, our hosts' idea...where they understood gf, and I had a great shrimp on salad and corn chips with guacamole. Not expensive.  Lots of character.
Dinner...ZEALS.... A don't miss new place (I know it's near or in Marietta).  You'll need to google and make reservations.  Just opened.  Totally delicious gf meal....BREADED FRIED shrimp and fries with an incredible radish slaw.  (Again..chosen by our hosts)

Day five GA to Bushnell, FL
Breakfast...at Marriott, etc.
Lunch at a really good place off of 75 that we found by accident.  Called Mikes Cafe and Grill, in Lake City, FL.  Google and call for directions.  The owner spoke with waitress who talked with Spanish speaking chef, and they recommended a pasta primavera "without the noodles".  It turned out to be delicious sauteed veggies, that I added chicken to, and came with a salad.
Ate dinner at a Sonny's Pit Bar-b-q in Bushnell, FL.  Hard to explain gluten-free, and worst turkey ever!!!  Will never do another Sonny's.

Day six.   Florida...From Bushnell to Cocoa Beach
Denny's has a gf menu, but the employees (nice, accommodating) in Bushnell were unaware of it.  I showed it to them on my phone and was able to get gf breakfast.
Lunch...Ended up with my tuna packet on a McD's side salad in Orlando area.
Great dinner at YEN YEN's in Cocoa Beach, Fl.  Not on anyone's gf list, but was really good food and totally knew gf. Local celiacs should try this place!!!!

Day seven Cocoa Beach area
Denny's breakfast...again had to show them the menu on my phone
Lunch GRILLS Seafood Deck and Tiki Bar in Cape Canaveral...has a gf menu.   Got it right this meal.  Be careful.
Dinner...DO NOT DO Boston Seafood restaurant on N. Atlantic.  The hostess and waitstaff were so clueless, we walked out.  Instead went to BACKWOODS STEAK HOUSE in the Best Western, where the manager volunteered that he'd have the grill cleaned and make a steak w/o seasoning.  I didn't say anything...just that I was gf.  And it was a great filet.

Day eight.
Had breakfast in our own rented condo kitchen.
Lunch Went to GRILLS Seafood Deck and Tiki Bar in Melbourne, where the waitress typed in gf three times, and I still got a wheat bun  with the burger...and chips I said I didn't want.
Dinner at a friend....I brought prepackaged Boars Head turkey and prewashed, bagged veggies.  Friend was cooking, and totally clueless about gf, in fact....she was insensitive.

Day nine
Breakfast in condo
Lunch at AZTECA II in the Resort at Cocoa Beach....Owner stopped me from walking out when I saw the menu, and she convinced me they could do gf salads with chicken or shrimp.  If you go, speak with owner.
Dinner again at troublesome friend.  I brought store packaged lox and veggies.  She was not happy, but she was out of whack because I told her I would not eat the brownies her daughter was baking for me.  Odd having someone scream at you that they're not upset.

Day ten  Heading back up to the Carolinas along 95
Breakfast in condo
Lunch Ruby Tuesday....really good gf spaghetti squash with sauteed zucchini and marinara sauce.  Somewhere in SC along 95.
Dinner Outback Steakhouse in Smithfield, NC

Day eleven
Breakfast in Fairfield Inn Smithfield, NC ....their eggs & coffee, my cereal.
Ruby Tuesday again for lunch...Colonial Heights, VA.
PANA THAI  in Gaithersburg....Wasn't totally confident with them, but their pad thai didn't get me sick.  Won't risk it again.

Day twelve
Breakfast at host's house...again, my own stuff.
Chick fil-a salad for lunch.  My first time at a Chick fil-a
Dinner...NOT YOUR AVERAGE JOES, in Gaithersburg....EXCELLENT...HAS REALLY GOOD GF MENU. GREAT FOOD. Three locations in this area.

Now we're home...and we never needed to eat at Cracker Barrel, Shoney's, Bob Evans, etc.  Only once at McD's.  And I brought way too much emergency food with me.

The biggest challenge...Eating in people's homes.  I simply won't.  Not unless I've cooked what I'm eating.  On the road, I can't do that, so I bring enough for me.  Tough cookies, if they get pissed.  It's my health, not their ego that counts.  But you have to be creative to get gf food to bring to a meal, when you're traveling and don't have access to your own kitchen.

This was my first road trip in decades.  I'm eager to go on another one.  It works.  I had a cool pack with me, and I always asked for a frig in hotel rooms, but most of the stuff I had with me didn't need a frig.