From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2013 16:09:12 -0600
If I recall correctly, and there is a chance I may not as my memory does
tend to play small games with me sometimes:
 when I built the box I checked for continuity between the audio ground pin
and the chassis ground pin on the radio mike socket.  There was full
continuity which leads me to believe they are the same.
I suspect there are separate pins because it's easier to solder a single
wire to a pin instead of two wires to the same pin...so they just tie the
two grounds together in the radio's socket or somewhere beyond that point.
I kept them separate as well, but I don't know if you absolutely have to
even when running a balanced mike line.
Unless there are some low value resisters or small caps to ground on the
mike ground that are too small to effect a continuity reading.  My meter I
think reads continuity below a couple ohms.
Or, the mike ground could be switched to a different path when the PTT is
enabled, I didn't check that.

I initially had a bit of RF getting into my unbalanced chunk of XLR mike
cable that I used for the project.  I simply wrapped the 3 feet of excess
around the desk stand poll and it went away.
I use a round base desk stand with an 8 inch poll that extends out to about
14 inches...I have it all the way down, and a 13 inch flexible goose neck.
My operating position is such that that stand needs to be back on the desk a
bit, so I needed the goose neck to extend out quite a bit.  It gets a little
wobbly with a mike on the end of it, but I've got something on the back of
the base plate to keep it stable...one could easily drill a couple holes and
screw the base plate down to the desk.
Or, I could get a nicer boom arm that would be much more balanced.
Anyway, at the end of the day, I don't think the grounds on the mike socket
are separate so you can tie them together or use the main ground for the
audio line if you want.

Has anyone here used the audio in on the accessory jack for microphone
audio?  it bypasses the mike preamp and if you run an external pre of some
kind (like the art mp1), apparently the audio is far better than going into
the mike jack.
Though, the mike preamp in the radio apparently does boost some frequencies
in the voice range like between 400 and 1Khz...not sure which frequencies or
their Q or gain factors, but some prefer that sound over a flatter sound.

73
Colin, V A6BKX