From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 22:23:37 -0000
Hi Karl,

Interesting scenario!  I assume you are completely blind?

You have received several suggestions about low cost rigs, and in the main,
they are cheap because of the age.  These are radios such as the Kenwood
TS440.  But, I would contend that what you are really after is a radio
offering good value and accessibility for the price.  Unless you can borrow
a radio or be prepared to compromise significantly on accessibility or age,
I suggest it is worth spending just a little more, and get lots of
accessibility and performance benefits.

I would suggest the best radio for your needs would be the Kenwood TS570.
Firstly, it has a good auto ATU, and has DSP.  The VS-3 voice chip reads the
menu system, and it is a very reliable radio.  The RAIBC in the UK has
loaned many 570s over the years, and they very seldom have had any issues.
Best of all, a secondhand 570 should be readily available.

We have recently posted a 570 accessibility evaluation on the Active
Elements website, and this includes the full manual in MP3, and a front
panel layout in text.  The address of the review is:

http://active-elements.org/2013/03/01/ts-570/

Although production of the 570 stopped when lead free solder had to be used,
it is still relatively modern.

BTW, There are other accessibility reviews on the site, but these are mainly
for radios still in production.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals