From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2012 21:11:46 -0600
nice post martin.
I always shake my head a little when those who obtain an amateur radio
license exclaim in high dudgon that they didn't get into this hobby to be a
technician or an electronics wizard.
I guess the fact that one of the license classes in the US is called a
technicians class license doesn't equate to 1 plus 1 equals 2 for some
people.
It's fair that not everyone is going to be right into all the electronics
and theory and math and everything else, but you do need some basic
knowledge of radio systems, including antennas and all the different fascits
of how to get on the air in order to call yourself a ham operator.
If you just hit the PTT and talk, and could care less about the rest of it,
your simply an appliance operator and not a ham.
There is a certain amount of responsibility to being a licensed amateur
radio operator, and I see far far too many people shirking that
responsibility.  Part of that responsibility is to gain at least a basic
understanding of how stuff works as it relates to radio and
sending/receiving radio signals.  I say gain that knowledge...your not going
to get it over night, but you have to pursue it.
There is something to be said about the original, or at least, older
licensing scheme...where you absolutely had to learn the technical side of
it to even get beyond your novice license.
Now it's almost as if you can memorize a bunch of answers that mean nothing
to you, write the test, and if you happen to pass, you can grab an HT and be
a ham operator.
We've got a responsibility to our communities and neighbors and fellow human
beings to know what we're doing if we get that license.  If you can't be
bothered to know what you are doing and how to do it, then you shouldn't
have a license.  harsh perhaps, but that's my opinion.
Part of that is learning from other hams.  We go easy on new hams because
obviously they don't know as much.  But I have far less patients for those
who obtain their license and  do nothing to try to expand their knowledge
base
You don't have to be a certified electronics technician to learn about
radios and tuners, and antennas, and modes and how propigation works, and
antenna theory, and ohms law, and a little bit of algebra to figure out LC
circuits and how caps and coils and resisters all work together.
Learn about an osciloscope and how it works...even if you never use that
knowledge, at least you've tried to expand your knowledge base a little bit
to deserve to have that license.
Whatever it is, one must keep learning, or one might as well throw your
license and callsign away and go golfing, or sit in front of the computer
playing cards all day...whatever lol.

just my quarters worth hi.

73
Colin, V A6BKX