Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:28:09 -0500
Albert asked:

"Are there certain  frequencies that should be monitored for
activity?"

For SSB activity, monitor 50.125 upper side band. That is the domestic
calling frequency for SSB.

The DX calling frequency is 50.110.

While most SSB stations run horizontally polarized antennas, your
vertical will work just fine when the band is open. Your signal will
be a bit weaker for local stations who are horozontal.

For FM, the national simplex frequency is 52.525, and most of the
antennas are vertical.

"Is it mor possible for the band to open up during the day or in the
early evening?"

Six meters behaves much like its former neighbor, the old analogue
television channel 2. Basically, it has a strong tendency to open
whenever it takes a notion too. I have seen it pop open with no
warning at just about any time of the day or night. Usually, however,
I would say check for activity during the late afternoon and evening.

Whether you comprehend CW or not, remember to tune through the beacon
band, which is 50.060 - 50.080. A CW signal inside that window means
the band is open to somewhere. At that point, blast forth with a CQ on
one of the calling frequencies, especially if you don't hear any other
activity. You may be the signal that alerts others to the opening.

"I have a groundplane up 10 feet, no room for a beam."

While more height would be better for local coverage, it won't matter
as much as you think during band openings, especially for the summer E
skip season. That season usually begins somewhere near the end of
April, and runs through July.

For the most part, when the band is open, anyone who you can hear will
also be able to hear you.

So, go for it, and make that first 6 meter contact happen.

Mike Duke, K5XU