From:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:02:47 -0500

Hello List Mates,
Back in January I posted a link to an article about Celiac and depression. I also included my thoughts on it. The article and my comments struck a cord with many of you. Clearly depression is a serious topic for many Celiacs including many opinions about how the medical community treats it. I am grateful to all who responded. I have finally compressed the comments (not edited) just for repetition. I hope you find them useful.
Sincerely,
Deb Wheaton
www.notevenacrumb.com
"Raising Awareness, One Crumb at a Time"

First, here is what I posted:

Hello List Mates,
Ok, I just want to call "BS" on this "study".  http://www.doctorslounge.com/index.php/news/pb/25701

With increased diagnosis nationwide seems like the medical community may be looking for a cash cow here. Since Celiac is the only disease controlled by diet and, once diagnosed they can't prescribe drugs for us, (so far), now the medical community wants to tell us we're depressed...after all, there's a pill for that.

I know there is an increased risk for depression among the Celiac population.  But we also know that Celiac is the #1 misdiagnosed intestinal disorder. And depression is one of those misdiagnoses prior to testing. And of course with all the other issues we have to deal with (like getting our Dr's to listen to us), who wouldn't feel depressed once in a while. I'm insulted by this broad brush approach. Am I over reacting?
I'd love to know what you think. I'll summarize.

Due to the length, the SUMMARY is in two parts.
Summary #1:
1)	You are right on the money. And women are more likely to be told, it is all in your head... Even by female doctors. I hate taking meds, but I will be happy for a pull, not so I can cheat, but do I can feel safe when I need to live in a medical facility. Old age is coming fast. I just turned 67.

2)	 Celiac is *not* the only disease controlled by diet.  There are
 hundreds of them.  Goiter/hypothyroidism is another.  Another  one is diabetes.  You think so only because  you have assimilated drug propaganda to the point that you  expect all diseases can or should be solved with a pill.
 Of course medicine is a business, and they need to make money.
 In many cases it is not so much a conscious decision as  emulating other doctors with a profitable practice.  We have  to treat doctors like shoe salesmen.  We must say "no" a lot,  or we may hurt for a long long time.
 Psychiatrists are particularly predatory.  I was surprised to  learn that many of them do not even go to medical school.
 Doctors are licensed by the counties, and the county medical  boards often do not know the differences between a psychiatrist,  a psychologist, and a psychoanalyst.  It is very easy for  some one with the right political stripes and the wrong  degree to practice medicine.  One former neighbor of mine  told me privately that he didn't believe it himself until  the drug company reps began visiting him and leaving free  samples.
The only things these guys know about medicine is what the  drug companies tell them.

3)	 You are not overreacting.  I don't currently have any depression
symptoms.  Let them talk.  I am fine; just let me have good gluten free food.

4)	There is a specialty ward in the province that I live that deals with mood disorders such as depression and I have actually been quite impressed that for almost everyone who enters the ward (according to my doctor and nurse) they do the Celiac Panel on them.  This has been going on since 2000 when I first was transferred to that hospital’s ward.  The last time I was in the hospital of the 32 people on the mood disorder or neuropsychiatry ward, there was myself, diagnosed celiac for 29 years and then 5 others who the doctors were trying a GF diet to see if symptoms abated for them (however I must admit their adherence to the diet was not that good).  I was actually quite surprised to learn and see this!  It is a small hospital and the meal service is really great for those on a gluten free diet too – they make gluten free banana/pineapple muffins each day that are also lactose free to help the people who are trying out a GF diet.

5)	So, yes, I think this is a topic that deserves to be highlighted just like for women that cannot conceive – they should be tested for CD also.  It is only a blood test these days so much easier than when I was diagnosed in the early 80’s where they had to do a biopsy on a hunch that you might have the condition.

6)	I agree. For years the dr. Told my parents I was throwing up because I
wanted to skip school. Then they claimed I was upset because my husband was in Vietnam (giving away my age aren't I?)

7)	We have what we've labeled "neurological celiac" in our household, because the symptoms that led us to discovering gluten problems were all neurological, including a false diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder.  When considering the brain-gut connection, there's no surprise to me that the problem lingers after removing gluten from the diet. It certainly wasn't a panacea here -- but removing gluten enabled psychiatric medications to work more effectively.

8)	Since being diagnosed nearly 40 years ago I have lived a relatively normal life. Depression never entered my mind. Though I'm retired now, I've had a very full and successful career despite being GF. Before the words "gluten-free" entered the media's vocabulary, I traveled extensively on business and managed to survive quite well -- ate lots of salads, baked potatoes and eggs.

9)	Sure, I had some bad days in the past 40 years, but I've never been depressed about it. The only thing that depresses me is the fact that my primary physician still doesn't know or care what celiac disease is all about. How can he? He doesn't  see me long enough to take an interest in finding out.

10)	  You are definitely not over reacting. Sure, upon being told one is gluten intolerant and must follow a strict diet for the rest of his/her life, a bout of depression is understandable. However, depression is short lived. There are no other diseases that can be controlled solely by diet. And, in today's environment, there isn't a food that can't be duplicated into a gluten free food. That being said, I totally agree with...as the medical community looks for a cash cow...right on.

11)	I'm no doctor, but I believe depression can be caused by low serotonin in
the body. Since 99% of serotonin is produced in the gut (that's what I was told by dietician), it's only natural that this could be plausible especially if the gut is not taking in enough nutrients to produce the serotonin. Just a thought. But yeahŠpharmacies can't capitalize on usŠof course they have to do something!

12)	You hit the nail on the head.  However, if drug companies and their pet doctors can 'medicalize'  and profit from CD, at least more people will be tested.

13)	I had a drug company write to me, all worried that I wasn't filling my prescriptions any more after I was diagnosed with CD.  I didn't need medicine once I had found out what was causing the pain.  Love all that medical privacy we have - unless a big corporation can make money from it.

14)	After being told I was just 'stressed' and 'neurotic' for over 25 years when I complained of stomach pain and a host of other illnesses, I'm way past being insulted by anything.  I just consider - and discount - the source.   :-)

15)	I'm not so sure I'd call it BS. I'd rather call it an incomplete picture.  I'm one of those women who had clinical depression despite being strictly grain-free (let alone plain GF).  It turns out I had Hashimoto's disease with the concomitant hypothyroidism.  Celiacs have a higher chance than the average population of having other autoimmune diseases.  Once I went onto Synthroid, my depression was resolved.

Summary is continued on next post.

*******
*******