Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:32:26 -0600

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and respond to my posting earlier this fall regarding my recent frustrations with my child's public school experience (and 504 implementation/oversight). I'm sorry it's taken me so long to circle back and post again, but I was waiting to write again until I had reached a more definitive idea regarding my next steps. Alas… I am still sorting a lot of this out. As I'm sure many of you can relate to, this is very much an ongoing process and indeed, I am still in conversations with my child's lead teacher and the school nurse.

As for a summary of the many responses I received (well over a dozen), they ran a wide gamut, including:

-- stories of people who chose to homeschool for related reasons
-- ask to review recipes/brands for cooking projects a week in advance
-- request an IEP for a medical disability
-- volunteer to help on cooking project days
-- circle back to nurse and request add'l training for all staff
-- don't be afraid to advocate
-- teach your child to advocate
-- a reminder about how very full teachers plates are (no pun intended!)

Once again, THANK YOU so much all of you who took the time to read and respond to my post. I believe I had a chance to respond to all of you individually and again, I'm sorry it's taken me this long to post back to the group. The journey continues…!

Thanks again -- and best wishes this holiday season,
Monica