From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:19:31 -0400
I am using three Radio Shack converters, which had Vista drivers on their
CD's which seem to work with Windows 7 on this laptop.  I think they use the
Prolific chipset.  One USB-to-serial converter drives an Enabling Technology
RB40 embosser from Duxbury.  Another drives the Rotor-EZ controller board
from Idiom Press, from N1MM's rotor control program.  The third controls the
Yaesu FT950 from Ham Radio Deluxe or N1MM.

FTDI chipsets have a reputation for being more bullet-proof.  Some folks on
the FT950 list swear by cables they buy from W4RT Systems.  I think that
finding usable drivers can be the most vexing problem.  Some FT950 owners
also insist on putting multi-RS232 adapters into the desktops they
customize, so clearly there are many approaches which can work for you.
73 -- Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Wheaton, MD