From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:46:38 -0500
Yes, AM broadcast station transmitting antennas are vertical.

But, at those low frequencies, the polarization of the wire you use
for listening will absolutely not matter at all.

Furthermore, unless you own your very own private ghost town,
abandoned railroad, or about 200 acres where you can run a very long
wire or a beverage antenna, the directional orientation of the wire
you are likely to install will not matter either.

If your house has real aluminum window screens, try using one of those
for the receiving antenna. Those use to work just fine before
everything in the house became a noise generator at the AM frequency
range.

You will probably do better with something like the Select-A-Tenna, or
whatever C Crane sells these days. Radio Shack also sold a tunable
Select-A-Tenna knockoff at one time, but I don't know if they still
do.