VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2013 21:06:48 -0700
Lisa,

PowerPoint is definitely accesible with Jaws. I'm 90% certain it is
accessible with System Access, and there is now some accessibility for
PowerPoint in NVDA, though I haven't tried it with this last yet.

I use PowerPoint often, but not regularly, so I end up having to relearn
a few basics, and the rest comes easy. What I think I remember is that
you just open a slide show and press the spacebar to move from one slide
to another. Jaws reads each slide to you. If you want to review a slide,
tab a couple of times to get to an option called edit, review, or maybe
title. For some reason, I think I tab, then press the context key. When
you do that, you can edit the slide or review it carefully.

For best results, run a Google search on "Jaws, PowerPoint," to find
details. I remember finding a great Jaws tutorial, probably by Freedom
Scientific. My browsers seem to be tired tonight; otherwise, I'd try to
find the link for you. What I think I remember is that System Access
commands for PowerPoint are similar to the ones Jaws uses.

Slide shows tend to read like outlines. Each slide has a small amount of
text: a sentence or two or maybe a short bulleted list with relatively
few words in each item. Slides tend to emphasize eye-candy, pictures or
charts illustrating what's being said. sometimes, if there's no
eye-candy, the slide may use word art, text presented graphically in
interesting colors and forming curves or shapes, with dots or stripes,
etc. the Eye candy tends not to be accessible, but the outline-ish
material usually reads just fine.

If you can download the presentations for reading on your computer, you
should do all right. If the presentations are to be viewed online, I'm
not sure. I have mostly not had good luck with those.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]