From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 22:58:06 -0600
old radios equals old caps, and old caps leak, blow up and dry out...a blown
cap, or several, or shorted resisters can cause any number of problems,
related and unrelated.
As we told you time and time again, you need to make sure you have a good
SWR on your antenna using a tuner, or cut for resonance...which ever,
doesn't matter, as long as the radio sees a decent SWR.
there are used tw1's availible, and noise bridges, and guys who'll build
audible tuning aids...and all sorts of ways to make sure you have a good
SWR...including auto tuners.
The lesson learned here is to pay attension to the advice you are getting
weather you like the tone of the message or not, the information is still
valid.
As you learned the hard way, ignoring valuable advice and recommendations
can cost.
I wouldn't even get the 120 fixed.  By the time you pay for shipping both
ways, and the cost of repares, it'll be more than the radio is worth...at
least, more than the replacement value of another TS120 from ebay or where
ever.
Instead of dumping a bunch of money into an old radio that will probably
have many more issues before long, take that same money and buy yourself a
noise bridge, or an LDG  TW1 talking swr meter, so that you can tune your
antenna, and use your new shiny TS480.   You'd be a fool to dump money into
fixing that old ts120 when you've got a brand new rig there, and a number of
options to utilize your manual tuner that you insist upon using.
I'm not you, and it's your money and your life, but it comes down to common
sence and logic here.
Just don't ignore everyones good advice this time, and maybe you'll be able
to stay on the air trouble free.

so there's my advice, for what it's worth.

73
Colin, V A6BKX